There are ten possible Master options in English Studies at the University of Zurich: two courses of study focus on both English Literature and Linguistics (90, and 75 ECTS), and there are four options in each, English and American Literature or English Linguistics (90, 75, 30, 15 ECTS).
The Master courses build on the foundation established at the Bachelor level. Students are afforded a greater freedom in choosing courses, and may thus place an emphasis on their preferred area of specialisation within a field of study. Courses focus on advanced material, and students are encouraged to undertake their own research. Those students who study English as a major will be required to write a Master thesis for 30 ECTS.
The admission requirements for the Master courses are as follows:
- 90 and 75 ECTS majors: a Bachelor degree with at least 60 ECTS in English
- 30 and 15 ECTS minors: a Bachelor degree with at least 30 ECTS in English
Applicants should note that, for students graduating before or in the Spring Semester 2015, Latin is required. There will no longer be a Latin requirement for students graduating in the Fall Semester 2015 or later.
Further details about the respective courses and their regulations can be found in:
- Studienordnung (Document available in German only)
- Wegleitung (Document available in English only. Revised version, August 2013)
- Brochure Master Program in English and American Literature
|Courses for Master as Major||
|Courses for Master as Minor|