Ideally complementing your Bachelor studies, the Master of Arts in English Linguistics at the University of Zurich offers you a thorough knowledge of English linguistics and a critical awareness of approaches and methodologies. The programme is set up to develop creative, critical, intellectual, and communicative skills, preparing graduates for a wide range of professional settings and providing them with research training and preparation for a possible subsequent doctorate.
Why an Master of Arts in English Linguistics at Zurich?
- largest professorial staff in Switzerland
- largest English-studies library in Switzerland
- access to the Zentralbibliothek, Switzerland’s largest library
- great thematic range
- wide variety of possible combinations of topics
- supportive teaching and learning environment
- preparation for independent research at PhD level
- attractive location in Zurich’s city centre: easy to reach, close to cafes and refectories, libraries, museums, cultural centres.
We offer a wide range of subjects in English linguistics. Our particular areas of expertise include:
- Language variation and change
- Global English
- Contact linguistics (Contact dialectology, Pidgin and Creole linguistics)
- Varieties of English, better- and lesser-known
- Historical pragmatics
- Cognitive pragmatics
New Media / Mass Media
- Language of mass media
English Historical Linguistics
- For example, historical syntax
- Corpus-based synchronic and diachronic description of English