Master of Arts (M.A.) in English Studies
There are thirteen possible M.A. options in English Studies at the University of Zurich: three courses of study focus on both English Literature and Linguistics (90, 75, and 45 KP), and there are five options in each English and American Literature or English Linguistics (90, 75, 45, 30, 15 KP) .
The M.A. courses build on the basis established in the B.A.. Students are afforded a greater freedom in choosing courses, and may thus place an emphasis on their preferred area of specialisation within a field of study. Courses focus on advanced material, and students are encouraged to undertake their own research. Each course of studies in the M.A. programme concludes with a final exam testing what has been learned in all modules. In addition, those students who study English as a major will be required to write an M.A. thesis for 30 KP.
The admission requirements for the M.A . courses are as follows:
- 90, 75, and 45 KP majors: a B.A. degree with at least 60 KP in English
- 30 and 15 KP minors: a B.A. degree with at least 30 KP in English
Applicants should note that Latin is required to study English at the University of Zurich. The Latin requirement can be fulfilled during the M.A. course of studies and is not a prerequisite for matriculation.
Further details about the respective courses and their regulations can be found in:
- Studienordnung (Document available in German only)
- Wegleitung (Document available in English only. Revised version, April 2011)
Course lists in the Vorlesungsverzeichnis
|Courses for MA as Major||
|Courses for MA as Subsidiary|
- MA Thesis and Final Exam information
- Lehrdiplom für Maturitätsschulen
- Institut für Erziehungswissenschaft, Abteilung für Lehrerinnen- und Lehrerbildung Maturitätsschulen
- Faculty of Arts
- UZH Careers Service
- UZH Central Advising of Studies