Master students with an excellent academic record in English Studies may want to consider pursuing a doctoral degree.
Possible Reasons for Doing a PhD
There are many different reasons why one may want to do a PhD – for example:
- to make an important contribution to a field about which one is passionate;
- to be able to pursue one's long-term career goals (e.g. to get a job at university, perhaps even to become a professor);
- to keep learning more about one's chosen field of study;
- to work with a professor who has encouraged one to do a PhD with them;
- to showcase one's full potential by conducting a larger research project.
Whatever the reason(s), ii is important to think carefully about the alternatives (e.g. Lehrdiplom vs. PhD) and to make an informed choice.
More information on how to become a PhD candidate at UZH is available in the section for PhD students.