- For general content, learning aims etc., see the general module description.
- For information on the old version of the Bachelor Thesis (until and including spring 2019; 9 ECTS), see the corresponding section of the old program guidelines.
Students who completed a Bachelor Thesis Seminar in the spring semester 2019 are strongly recommended to take the old Bachelor Thesis version (9 ECTS). Only by taking the old Bachelor Thesis version will they be guaranteed a slot with the same instructor. Students 'changing' to the new Bachelor Thesis version (15 ECTS) may be asked to write about a different topic than the one they agreed upon with the instructor of their Bachelor Thesis Seminar.
What Is the Right Semester to Write One's Bachelor Thesis?
The ideal semester for writing the Bachelor Thesis is during one's final semester of studies at Bachelor level (see sample timetables).
In theory, students are free to book the Bachelor Thesis module at any point after completing the module group "Introduction to English Literature and Linguistics." However, it is strongly recommended that students first complete a Bachelor Seminar in Linguistics before booking the thesis module.
When to Contact Your Supervisor for the First Time?
Students wishing to write a Bachelor Thesis should, at the very least, have a relatively clear idea about the topic of their Bachelor Thesis before contacting their supervisor. Ideally, they will proceed as follows:
- prepare a draft outline;
- book the Bachelor Thesis module with a particular supervisor;
- contact that supervisor by email.
The absolutely final deadlines for contacting the supervisor for the first time are as follows:
- for a Bachelor Thesis to be submitted in the fall semester: at the very latest, first day of classes (i.e. c. mid-September) - but preferably in August or very early September
- for a Bachelor Thesis to be submitted in the spring semester: at the very latest, first day of classes (i.e. c. mid-February) - but preferably in January or early February
Last Date for Submitting the Outline for the Bachelor Thesis?
Students must submit the outline by:
- c. first week of October in the fall semester
- c. first week of March in the spring semester
How to Book the Bachelor Thesis?
Students will have to book the Bachelor Thesis officially early on in the semester (i.e. in August/September for the fall term, and in January/February for the spring term), using the UZH's official booking tool.
More information will follow in the course of the summer 2019.
What Kind of Support Can One Expect?
You are expected to work independently. However, there is a (non-mandatory) Bachelor Thesis Colloquium. The colloquium aims to guide students through the research and writing process, providing hands-on help as well as useful exercises for the students (e.g. in the form of workshops on research design and time management). In addition, you may contact your individual supervisor if you encounter any major problems.
How Long Does the Bachelor Thesis Have to Be?
8'000 words (excluding the bibliography and appendices, but including tables, figures, and examples; +/- 10%)
What Is the Deadline for Submitting the Bachelor Thesis?
- in the fall semester: December 1
- in the spring semester: June 1
In Which Form Does the Thesis Have to Be Submitted?
Unless stated otherwise by your supervisor, the Bachelor Thesis needs to be submitted as a print copy as well as in electronic form (PDF).