Disclaimer: The applicable legal regulations can be found in the framework ordinance (Rahmenverordnung) and the program regulation (Studienordnung) for the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. The information below is for illustrative purposes only and should be regarded as a recommendation. In case of any contradictions between this document and the legal regulations or between the German version and a translation, only the legal regulations or the German version, respectively, have legal bearing.
Important: Students who started their studies in the 30-ECTS Bachelor program in English Literature and Linguistics before the fall semester 2019 can remain enrolled in this program. They have to complete their studies by the end of the spring semester 2023 (i.e. the spring semester 2023 is the last semester in which they can graduate from this program).
Please read these recommended guidelines carefully. They will help you avoid potential problems arising from the Bologna 2020 reform.
Introduction to English Literature and Linguistics (28-30 ECTS)
- complete either "Introduction to Linguistics" (old, 8 ECTS) or "Introduction to English Linguistics" (new, 9 ECTS).
- complete either "English Literature: Textual Analysis" (old, 8 ECTS) or "English Literature: Textual Analysis" (new, 9 ECTS).
- complete "Language Skills and Culture: Introduction" (old or new, 12 ECTS)
Note: "Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology" will no longer be required. However, students who have already completed the module can of course count the 2 ECTS points as an elective (see below).
Electives (0-2 ECTS)
The number of points needed from elective modules is max. 2 ECTS, min. 0 ECTS, depending on how many credit points you have in the category "Introduction to English Literature and Linguistics" (i.e. if you have fewer than 30 ECTS there, you need some extra ECTS from elective modules).
- You can use the old "Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology" module (2 ECTS) to cover this requirement.
- The new modules all have 3 ECTS points. This means that you may have to do 3 ECTS to cover a requirement of 1 or 2 ECTS (as there are not modules with 1 or 2 ECTS).
Please contact the advisor of studies if any of the following applies to you:
- You have transferred ECTS points from other universities to UZH.
- You had previously transferred to this UZH Bachelor program from one of the older UZH Lizenziat programs.