Study Abroad

There are many reasons why spending one or two semesters at another university outside of Switzerland is beneficial for students. You might gain different perspectives and insights on your study subjects, broaden your academic and cultural horizons in general, perfect your language skills, live outside the family home for the first time, or increase your national and international job prospects after your graduation.

Additionally, while spending time in English-speaking countries is recommended for everyone who studies English, for Lehrdiplom candidates it is mandatory.

Outbound Students from UZH

There are different possibilities to go abroad as a UZH student; you can either plan your stay on your own, you can join a language or teaching assistant program, or you can compete for one of the exchange positions offered by the English Department and/or the International Relations Office every year.

Study and teaching abroad programs for UZH students

All students interested in having the course work that they have done abroad accredited will be required to complete a so-called Anrechnungsvereinbarung.

This form must be signed by the Study Abroad Coordinators of all the departments concerned, i.e. by the Study Abroad Coordinator of the English Department for courses potentially being accredited to your English studies. You can find more information as well as the link to the form on the website of the Studiendekanat.

Inbound Students from Other Universities

If you would like to study in Zurich for one or two semesters, you can either apply via an official exchange agreement between your home university and the UZH, or you can organize your studies at UZH independently as a visiting student.

In any case, students from outside Switzerland who would like to study in our department should check the website of the International Office of the UZH to find out which exchange programme would be suitable for them.

Exchange students who have already been accepted by the UZH can find more information in the subsection for inbound exchange students.