Study Abroad Places for Students of English Only (incl. SEMP)

General Information

The English Department has a number of exchange places at Bachelor as well as at Master level, both within and outside of Europe.

Most of these exchange slots are part of the Swiss-European Mobility Program (SEMP). This exchange program allows you to study at one of our partner universities in Europe for a period of 5-10 months (i.e. one or two semesters). In addition, there are some bilateral agreements.

All contracts with partner universities need to be renewed on a regular basis. Thus, the following list is subject to change.

List of Exchange Slots (for Students of English Only)

Country University BA MA
Austria Universität Wien 1 x 1 Sem.
Canada Mount Saint Vincent University, Halifax 1 x 1 Sem. -
Finland University of Helsinki 1 x 1 Sem. 1 x 1 Sem.
University of Tampere 1 x 2 Sem. 1 x 2 Sem.
Germany Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena 1 x 1 Sem.
Ireland Trinity College Dublin 1 x 1 Sem.* -
New Zealand University of Auckland - 1 x 1 Sem.**
Romania Babeș-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca 1 x 1 Sem.
Spain Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona 1 x 2 Sem. -
UK University of Aberdeen 2 x 1 Sem. -
University of Manchester 1 x 2 Sem. -
Plymouth University 1 x 2 Sem. -
University of Sheffield 1 x 2 Sem. 1 x 2 Sem.
University of Warwick, Coventry

1 x 1 Sem.

Queen Mary University of London

1 x 2 Sem.


2 x 1 Sem.

2 x 1 Sem.***

* For English Literature only.

** Places in Auckland are only available in 'even' years (e.g. Fall 2020, Fall 2022, etc.).

*** Fall semester only.

Please note: Work done at Bachelor level cannot be accredited toward a Master program.


The costs vary. For exchanges within Europe (SEMP program) the costs involved in such a stay abroad are basically only living expenses; in addition, there is usually a small stipend (though this is not guaranteed). Exchanges outside of Europe will be more expensive as there is no stipend. However, once you have been given a place, you are free to apply to the ES Alumni Student Fund for a small travel grant.

In both cases, however, you remain enrolled at the University of Zurich, and tuition fees at the host university are waived.

Please note that, following the Swiss referendum on 9 February 2014, the European Union suspended negotiations on Switzerland's full participation in the EU education programme Erasmus+. The interim solution is called Swiss-European Mobility Programme and follows the precepts of Erasmus+.

How to apply

Application dossiers must be uploaded to Mobility Online.

The deadline for applications for 2020-2021 is December 1, 2019.

Application Steps

  1. Choose up to three universities that interest you (look at the ES Homepage for places for English students only or see all possible choices via the Mobility Online Search Platform).
  2. Register on Mobility Online.
  3. Upload all of the required documents to Mobility Online and complete your full application before the deadline. Please note that the referee reports must NOT be uploaded to Mobility Online but submitted to the study abroad coordinator directly. Two of the referee reports must be filled out by members of staff/instructors of the English Department, one may be filled out by a member of another department or school (e.g. from your minor studies).
    Please be aware that:
    • the earlier ES deadline counts
    • you must also submit the Application Form and corresponding documents as one PDF to (uploading these ES-specific documents to Mobility Online is currently not possible)
    • you must hand in three referee reports (more information below)
  4. If your choices include one or more ES only places, you are invited to the study abroad interviews which are around mid-December.
  5. The study abroad coordinator checks your application and accepts it or not. If your application is accepted, you get an offer for an exchange slot, which you need to actively accept as well.
  6. If you accept the offer, the study abroad coordinator nominates you at the partner university.
  7. The partner university contacts you after the nomination and you need to apply there separately.
  8. You are accepted by the partner university.
  9. You choose courses, which you are interested in and contact the ES study abroad coordinator to discuss your choices and fill out/sign the accreditation form.
  10. You create the separate Learning Agreement in Mobility Online and send it to the coordinators to collect all signatures. After that, you upload the LA to Mobility Online before the deadline set by the UZH Global Experience Office.
  11. You go abroad. If you need to change courses after your arrival, you contact the ES stay abroad coordinator immediately and let her know about your alternative options.
  12. After your stay abroad, you send your transcript of records and any essays you wrote to the study abroad coordinator who checks your documents and starts the accreditation process.

Application Form and Referee Report


Note: Download the forms and open them with a PDF tool (e.g. Adobe Reader) to fill them out electronically.

The application form and corresponding documents must be sent as one PDF to

The referee reports must NOT be uploaded to Mobility Online. Referees are asked to return the report before the application closing date (December 1) by sending it electronically from their personal UZH email account to studyabroad [at] Alternatively, referees may put the printed report in a sealed and signed envelope and give it to the applicant to hand in or leave it in the pigeonhole for the study abroad coordinator (Nathalie Meyer) in the ES Secretary’s office.