There are many different reasons why one may want to do a PhD – for example:
- to make an important contribution to a field about which one is passionate;
- to be able to pursue one's long-term career goals (e.g. to get a job at university, perhaps even to become a professor);
- to keep learning more about one's chosen field of study;
- to work with a professor who has encouraged one to do a PhD with them;
- to showcase one's full potential by conducting a larger research project.
Whatever the reason(s), it is important to think carefully about the alternatives (e.g. Lehrdiplom vs. PhD) and to make an informed choice.